1424 - Dependent Re-verification (DRV)
Benefits and Insurance
- Employee Relations Officers
- Personnel Officers
- Personnel Transactions Staff
- Personnel Transactions Supervisors
This policy informs department personnel staff of their role in the Dependent Re-Verification (DRV) process.
The DRV is the process of re-verifying the eligibility of spouses, domestic partners, children, stepchildren, and domestic partner children (family members) for their continued enrollment for state health, dental benefits and premier vision. Government Code section 19815.9 mandates re-verifying the eligibility of these family members. Government Code section 22959 authorizes extending this review to family members enrolled in dental benefits. The bargaining unit contracts specify that family member eligibility for dental benefits shall be the same as the prescribed for health benefits.
The DRV began in 2018. The eligibility of family members is re-verified once every three years. The re-verification period is based on the employee's birth month.
Government Code 19815.9 also requires the employing office to:
- Verify the eligibility of all dependents prior to enrolling them in health, dental and vision benefits
- Retain and maintain a record of the verifying documentation for each dependent in the employee's official personnel file
- Validate/re-verify dependent eligibility at least once every three years for most dependents
- Remove unverified dependents from benefits coverage
For detailed information for state personnel offices, including procedures, manuals and FAQs, go to the DRV section of the CalHR Benefits Website for State HR Professionals.
- Government Code section 22959
- California Code of Regulations, title 2 Section 599.855
- Government Code 19815.9
- CalHR 277: Dependent Re-Verification (DRV) Appeals Intake Form
- CalHR 781 : Dependent Eligibility Verification Checklist
- 1401: Health Benefits
- 1403: Dental
- 1404: Vision
- 1408: Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)
- CalPERS Circular Letter #600-040-18: CalPERS Circular Letter #600-040-18
- CalHR Benefits Division: State Employee
- Dental Program: Dental Program
- DRV Toolkit: DRV Toolkit
- State Health Benefits Guide: State Health Benefits Guide
- Vision Program: Vision Program
Benefits Division Inquires, Benefits Division
Dependent Re-Verification Program