2704 - CalPERS 1959 Survivor Benefit Program
- Employee Relations Officers
- Personnel Officers
- Personnel Transactions Staff
- Personnel Transactions Supervisors
- Provides the 1959 Survivor Benefit Program Eligibility
- Provides the 1959 Survivor Rate Determination
The 1959 Survivor Benefit Program, 5th Level is administered by the California Public Employee’s Retirement System (CalPERS). This program provides a monthly allowance to eligible survivors of CalPERS members who are not covered by Social Security and dies prior to retirement.
The purpose of this policy is to outline the most current 1959 Survivor Benefit Program eligibility and premium rates for state employees and employers.
State employees who are in classes or positions designated state safety, peace officer/firefighter, and patrol are subject to the 1959 Survivor Benefit Program, 5th Level. State employees who are eligible for this program are automatically enrolled upon appointment to the eligible class or position.
Premium Rate Determination
The state employee and employer monthly premium rates are determined annually by CalPERS actuarial staff and requires approval by CalPERS Board of Administration prior to implementing any premium rate changes.
Pursuant to CalPERS law, Government Code section 21581(c), the contribution for state employees may be $2.00 per month as long as the combined employee and employer cost for this benefit is $4.00 per month. If the total cost of this benefit exceeds $4.00 per month, the employer and employee shall share equally the cost of the benefit.
The State Controller’s Office will implement the contribution rate changes for all state employees subject to the 1959 Survivor Benefit Program upon receiving notice from CalPERS and CalHR. Employers will receive annual premium rate changes via CalPERS Circular Letters.
Departments should notify state employees of the premium rate changes upon receiving notice from CalPERS.
- 2701: CalPERS Contribution Rates and Benefit Formulas
- 2702: State Safety Retirement
- 2703: Peace Officer/Firefighter Retirement (POFF)
- 1959 Survivor Benefit Program: CalPERS 1959 Survivor Benefit Program Information and Publication
- CalPERS Circular Letters: List of CalPERS Circular Letters
CalHR, Benefits Division