2203 - Allowances and Travel Reimbursements (Historical View)** Effective: 11/18/2016 2:58:08 PM - 11/21/2016 9:53:26 AM **
- Accounting Officers
- Budget Officers
- Claims Coordinators
- Employee Benefits Officers
- Labor Relations Officers
- Personnel Officers
- Personnel Transactions Staff
- Travel and Relocation Liaisons
- provides information about Allowances and Travel Reimbursements.
- provides eligibility criteria.
- states the reimbursement rates.
Provisions in the Travel/Relocation Program authorize the reimbursement of authorized out-of-pocket expenses such as receipted lodging and meals/incidentals (per diem) that are reasonably, actually, and necessarily incurred as a result of conducting state business.
Meals and Lodging Reimbursement
Employees on authorized travel status may be reimbursed for receipted lodging and per diem. Lodging and/or meals provided by the state or included in hotel expenses or conference fees, or in transportation costs such as airline tickets, or otherwise provided shall not be claimed for reimbursement. Snacks and continental breakfasts, such as rolls, juice and coffee, are not considered to be meals.
Meal Reimbursement Rates
Lodging Reimbursement Rates
Individual Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) may have lodging reimbursement rates that are different than Excluded employee lodging reimbursement rates. Represented employees should always consult their Memoranda of Understanding for their current rates.
Rates for Represented Employees (BU 2, 7, and 9*) and all Excluded Employees:
Rates for all other Represented Employees
All employees (Represented and Excluded) may be eligible for reimbursement of receipted lodging and per diem for travel status and authorized employee relocations. The circumstances of travel and the specific relocation will determine eligibility and the rate allowed.
Per diem expenses shall not be allowed at any location within 50 miles of an employee’s headquarters. There may be limited instances where approval is granted for the reimbursement of meals and/or lodging within 50 miles of home or headquarters when the employee is conducting state business away from the headquarters location. Departments seeking an exception to this policy must follow the guidelines in PML 93-028.
Please note that travel and relocation provisions and rates may vary amongst Represented employees and Excluded employees. This variation is due to Memoranda of Understanding, CalHR Rules, and/or policy.
- Bargaining / Contracts
- California Code of Regulations, title 2, sections 599.615 to 599.638.1
- California Code of Regulations, title 2, sections 599.714 to 599.724.1
- Executive Order B-06-11
- Executive Order B-5-11
- Government Code section 18502
- Government Code sections 11030 to 11033.5
- STD 255: Moving Service Authorization (Employee Household Goods)
- STD 255A: Moving Service Authorization/Bid Proposal - Mobile Home
- STD 255C: Excess Lodging Rate Request
- STD 256: Moving/Relocation Expense Approval Request
- STD 261: Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business
- STD 262: Travel Expense Claim
- STD 265: Insurance Verification & Authorization to Operate Privately Owned/Rented/Leased Aircraft on State Business
- PML 1986-000-MM-001: PML 1986-000-MM-001 - 7/17/1986 - Travel Expenses of Non-State. Employees
- PML 1988-023: PML 1988-023 - 9/21/1988 - Diem Allowances For the European Continent and England
- PML 1988-033: PML 1988-033 - 6/1/1988 - Per Diem and Mileage Expenses During Negotiations
- PML 1989-000-MM-023: PML 1989-000-MM-023 - 12/13/1989 - Delegation of Headquarters Determinations for Members of Statutorily Established Boards and Commissions for Travel Expense Purposes
- PML 1992-012: PML 1992-012 - 1/24/1992 - Expenses for Applicants Who Are Called for Interview/Change Their Place of
- PML 1993-028: PML 1993-028 - 4/29/1993 - Delegations of Authority - Travel Program
- PML 1993-062: PML 1993-062 - 8/31/1993 - Headquarters Determinations For Members of Statutorily Established Boards and Commissions for Travel Expense Purposes
- PML 1995-017: PML 1995-017 - 4/3/1995 - Excluded Employees - Impact to Benefits upon Movement to Represented Status
- PML 2005-021: PML 2005-021 - 7/8/2005 - Travel and Relocation Reimbursements -- Third Party Vendor
- PML 2005-051: PML 2005-051 - 11/29/2005 - Travel and Relocation Programs - Travel Premiums
- PML 2006-013: PML 2006-013 - 4/6/2006 - Travel/Relocation - Delegation of Excess Lodging Rate Requests
- PML 2007-024: PML 2007-024 - 9/7/2007 - Travel/Relocation Programs – Airport Parking Expenses
- PML 2009-018: PML 2009-018 - 4/1/2009 - Travel Programs - Verification & Posting of Travel Expenses
- PML 2011-043: PML 2011-043 - 11/21/2011 - Travel – Excess Lodging Rate Request form (STD 255C) Revision-Reminder of Reporting Requirements
- PML 2011-044: PML 2011-044 - 11/21/2011 - Travel Programs – Verification of Travel Expenses
- PML 2013-022: PML 2013-022 - 7/11/2013 - Travel/Relocation Programs – Lodging/Per Diem Increase for SEIU, CAHP, PECG, and Excluded Employees
- PML 2013-026: PML 2013-026 - 8/12/2013 - Travel/Relocation Programs – Lodging/Per Diem Increase for SEIU, CAHP, PECG, and Excluded Employees
- PML 2013-034: PML 2013-034 - 10/10/2013 - Travel/Relocation Programs – Lodging/Per Diem Increases for CCPOA, CSLEA, IUOE, UAPD, CAPT, and AFSCME
- PML 2013-035: PML 2013-035 - 10/10/2013 - Travel/Relocation Programs – Lodging/Per Diem Increases for CDF Firefighters (BU 8)
- PML 2013-037: PML 2013-037 - 10/30/2013 - Travel/Relocation Programs – Lodging/Per Diem Increases for PECG
- PML 2013-044: PML 2013-044 - 12/19/2013 - Travel – Excess Lodging Rate Request form (STD 255C) Revision/Reminder of Reporting Requirements
- PML 2014-030: PML 2014-030 - 9/29/2014 - Travel/Relocation Programs – Lodging/Per Diem Increases for BU 2 (CASE) Employees
- PML 2014-031: PML 2014-031 - 9/29/2014 - Travel/Relocation Programs – Lodging/Per Diem Increases for BU 10 (CAPS) and BU 13 (IUOE) Employees
- PML 2015-004: PML 2015-004 - 2/20/2015 - Travel/Relocation Programs – Change in the Definition of What May be Claimed as an Incidental
- PML 2015-039: PML 2015-039 - 12/29/2015 - Travel/Relocation Programs – AB 229 Travel Reimbursement:
- CalATERS: California Automated Travel Expense Reimbursement System
- Payroll Procedures Manual : State Controller's Office PPM
- Statewide Travel Program: Department of General Services State Travel Portal
Program Manager , Benefits Division
Chief (Acting), Benefits Division