2112 - Professional Development Day
- Employee Relations Officers
- Personnel Officers
- Personnel Transactions Staff
- Provides exempt, excluded, and bargaining unit specific information on the application and utilization of Professional Development Days
- Provides proration charts for intermittent and part-time employees
The state provides most employees Professional Development Days (PDD) for activities such as professional association activities, professional and/or personal development seminars, etc. These days are to enhance and promote both professional and personal growth and goals. These activities are at the employee's expense; therefore, the choice of activity is at the employee's discretion.
Employees in Bargaining Units 1, 3, 4, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, and 21, and Excluded and Exempt employees shall receive two PDDs each fiscal year.
Bargaining Unit 2 employees shall receive five PDDs each fiscal year.
Bargaining Unit 6 employees shall receive two PDDs each calendar year.
The following employees are not eligible to receive PDDs:
- Retired Annuitants appointed under Government Code sections 19144, 21154, 21223, 21224, 21225, and 21227.
- CBID E-Designated Classes.
- Statutory exempt employees who do not earn leave credits.
- The following seasonal classes:
|Bargaining Unit||Class Code||Class Title|
|3||3082||Substitute Academic Teacher (Correctional Facility)|
|12||0987||Maintenance Aide (Seasonal)|
|12||0989||Maintenance Aide (Seasonal) (Angel Island)|
|12||0996||Senior Maintenance Aide (Seasonal)|
|12||0997||Senior Maintenance Aide (Seasonal) (Angel Island)|
|15||9992||Maintenance and Service Occupational Trainee|
|17||8170||Pre-Registered Nurse, Departments of Mental Health and Development|
|20||8434||Self-Help Sponsor (Part Time)|
PDD Hours/Days for Time Bases Other than Full-time
Part-time employees shall be subject to the same conditions as full-time employees, on a prorated basis. The proration shall be determined based on the employee’s time base consistent with the following:
|Time Base||PDD in Hours for Each PDD|
A part-time employee may only use up to a maximum of eight hours per PDD, regardless of the number of positions the employee holds within state service.
Permanent intermittent employees are eligible for PDD on a pro-rated basis, based on hours worked during the pay period of usage. The proration shall be based on the chart below:
|Hours Worked During Pay Period||PDD in Hours for Each PDD|
|0 to 10.9||0|
|11 to 30.9||1|
|31 to 50.9||2|
|51 to 70.9||3|
|71 to 90.9||4|
|91 to 110.9||5|
|111 to 130.9||6|
|131 to 150.9||7|
PDD hours should be credited prior to holiday hours.
A permanent intermittent employee may only use up to a maximum of eight hours per PDD, regardless of the number of positions the employee holds within state service.
- PDD typically does not count as time worked for the purpose of computing cash or compensating time off for overtime. Refer to the applicable Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
- When an employee who is eligible for PDD moves into a temporary assignment (such as Training and Development Assignment or an Out-of-Class Assignment) to a position that is not eligible for PDD, the employee remains eligible for PDD.
- When an employee who is eligible for PDD moves to a position that is not eligible for PDD before using the days/hours, the employee will carry over the remaining PDD through the end of the current fiscal year.
- When an employee who is not eligible for PDD is appointed to an acting assignment under California Code of Regulations, title 2, section 302.3, the employee remains not eligible for PDD.
- New hires receive PDD on the date of hire. There is no waiting period.
- Employees in E-25 classes – refer to the contract agreement.
- PDD may be used before other leave types. Exception: Bargaining Unit 6 posted positions will utilize PDD before any other leave types.
- PDD must be used in whole day increments for employees in Bargaining Units 6, 12, 18, and for Excluded and Exempt employees.
- PDD can be used in hourly increments for employees in Bargaining Units 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, and 21. Work Week Group (WWG) E employees shall not charge absences in less than whole day increments.
- PDD can be used in 15-minute increments for employees in Bargaining Units 9 and 10. WWG E employees shall not charge absences in less than whole day increments.
- The value of the PDD is based on the employee’s time base at the time of usage.
- PDD must be used within the fiscal year or calendar year (refer to MOU language) it is granted and not accumulated or cashed out.
- PDD cannot be donated or transferred to other leave types.
- PDD may be used to supplement State Disability Insurance, Non-Industrial Disability Insurance, Temporary Disability, and Industrial Disability Leave.
Requesting and Approving PDD:
- PDD time shall be requested and approved in the same manner as vacation/annual leave.
- Supervisors should not request documentation for this time.
- PML 2012-010: PML 2012-010 - 5/4/2012 - Professional Development Day (PDD) - Bargaining Units 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, and 21; and Excluded and Exempt Employees
Personnel Services Branch
Personnel Program Consultant , Personnel Services Branch
Chief, Personnel Management Division