2004 - Union Release Time Bank
- Labor Relations Officers
- Personnel Officers
- Personnel Transactions Supervisors
- Describes the Bargaining Unit 7 Accrual Reduction Process
- Provides Union Release Time Bank (URTB) usage
All Bargaining Unit 7 employees represented by California State Law Enforcement Agency (CSLEA) shall have their vacation/annual leave reduced up to 2 hours for one (1) pay period per year. These hours shall be placed in the Union Release Time Bank. Only employees designated by CSLEA may utilize the URTB for either representational or other legitimate union business.
In each July pay period, all Bargaining Unit 7 employees represented by CSLEA shall have their vacation/annual leave accrual reduced up to 2 hours regardless of time base or tenure. The number of hours to be deducted shall be provided by CSLEA no later later than June 15th each year. As of 2016, the reduction is for one and one-half (1½) hours. This reduction in vacation/annual leave accrual is only for one (1) pay period a year.
Employees may also donate additional leave to this time bank. Vacation, annual leave, holiday credits, CTO, personal leave (PLP), and excess time can be donated.
There will be no maximum accrual limit.
Accrual Reduction Process
Departments on the California Leave Accounting System (CLAS)
- In each July pay period, the State Controller’s Office (SCO) will automatically reduce Bargaining Unit 7 employees’ vacation/annual leave accrual by up to 2 hours.
Departments on the Human Resources Information System (HRIS)
- In each July pay period, departments will update HRIS to reduce Bargaining Unit 7 employees’ vacation/annual leave accrual by up to 2 hours.
Non-CLAS or HRIS Departments
- In each July pay period, departments NOT on CLAS or HRIS must manually reduce the Bargaining Unit 7 employees’ vacation/annual leave accrual by up to 2 hours.
Note: Departments on CLAS and HRIS will not need to notify CalHR Labor Relations of the total number of BU 7 employees in the department.
Union Release Time Bank (URTB) Usage
California State Law Enforcement Agency (CSLEA) will identify authorized CSLEA employees who can request the use of the time bank. Only employees designated by CSLEA may utilize the URTB for either representational or other legitimate union business.
Time off is subject to the operational needs of the department. Filling behind a position on overtime cannot be used as the sole reason for denial of leave under this provision. If the position must be filled behind on overtime, then the equivalent of time and one-half (1½) must be deducted from the time bank for all leave hours. The department must immediately notify the California Department of Human Resources (CalHR) and CSLEA when filling behind a position on overtime.
Example: Twelve (12) hours deducted for an eight (8) hour day, fifteen (15) hours deducted for a ten (10) hour day, six (6) hours deducted for a four (4) hour day, nine (9) hours deducted for a six (6) hour day.
Each time an employee requests to use URTB, CSLEA will submit the request utilizing the online Bargaining Unit 7 Time Bank. Departments shall approve or deny the request utilizing the same system. CalHR Labor Relations will be responsible for maintaining the URTB.
- PML 2011-029: California State Law Enforcement Agency (CSLEA) - Bargaining Unit 7 Union Release Time Bank (UTRB)
Kate Van Sickle
Labor Relations Specialist, Labor Relations Division
Deputy Director of Labor Relations, Labor Relations Division