1710 - Discretionary Salary Action Corrections
- Employee Relations Officers
- Personnel Officers
- Personnel Transactions Supervisors
- Provides examples of discretionary salary actions.
- Provides the effective dates allowed for corrections to be made.
- Identifies the standards which must be followed prior to submitting requests to the Department of Human Resources (CalHR).
Discretionary salary actions are those which are not mandatory for purposes of salary determination. In cases where discretionary salary actions must be corrected, it is the department’s responsibility to follow the standards outlined in this policy.
Examples of discretionary salary movements include counting prior service towards the appointment rate and/or anniversary date upon appointment, permissive reinstatement, and/or transfer, and receiving the range differentials between substantially the same salary ranges. "Substantially the same salary" is defined by California Code of Regulations, title 2, section 431. The salary range of the class "to" which the employee is transferring must be exactly the same, lower, or within two salary steps of the class "from" which the employee is transferring.
The earliest effective date allowed for discretionary salary corrections is the first of the pay period in which the correction is requested. CalHR may make an exception to this policy on a case by case basis. Departments must meet the following standards prior to submitting their written requests to the CalHR:
- A written departmental policy should be on file which reflects the agency's practice on the specific discretionary salary issue; or
- In the absence of a written policy, the department must provide proof that a set pattern exists; and
A salary commitment was made to the employee prior to the effective date; and
The employee acted upon receipt of the Notice of Personnel Action (NOPA) to rectify the error. (A copy of the unsigned NOPA is required by CalHR for verification.)
Please refer to Personnel Transactions Manual (PTM) section 439.3.
- California Code of Regulations, title 2, section 599.668
- California Code of Regulations, title 2, section 599.674
- California Code of Regulations, title 2, section 599.675
- California Code of Regulations, title 2, section 599.677
- California Code of Regulations, title 2, section 599.678
- California Code of Regulations, title 2, section 599.682
- California Code of Regulations, title 2, section 599.687
- Government Code section 19836
- PML 1985-007: Corrections to Discretionary Salary Actions
Personnel Services Branch
Personnel Program Consultant, Personnel Services Branch
Chief, Personnel Management Division