1708 - Computing Overtime
- Employee Relations Officers
- Personnel Officers
- Personnel Transactions Supervisors
- Provides a Government Code that changed overtime provisions.
- Provides clarity in the purpose of computing time off for overtime.
- Is only for excluded employees and employees in specific bargaining units.
Effective February 20, 2009, Government Code section 19844.1 was added. This Government Code changed the State’s overtime provisions. Implementation by CalHR was effective in the March 2009 pay period.
The overtime provision from Government Code 19844.1 applies to excluded employees and employees in specific Bargaining Units.
For the purpose of computing the number of hours worked, time when an employee is excused from work because of holidays, sick leave, vacation, annual leave, compensating time off, or any other leave shall not be considered as time worked by the employee for the purpose of computing cash or compensating time off for overtime. To determine if this applies to represented employees, departments should reference the applicable Bargaining Unit contract.
- Personnel Services Branch: Frequently Asked Questions
- PML 2009-014: PML 2009-014 - 3/10/2009 - Change in Overtime
Personnel Services Branch
Personnel Program Consultant, Personnel Services Branch
Chief, Personnel Management Division