1421 - Supplemental Life Insurance
Benefits and Insurance
- Personnel Officers
- Personnel Transactions Staff
- Personnel Transactions Supervisors
- Provides information about Supplemental Life Insurance program.
- Provides eligibility criteria for Supplemental Life Insurance program.
- Provides information about supplemental coverage.
- Provides information about supplemental coverage for dependents.
- States annual age requirements.
- States the administrative fee.
- Provides contact information for MetLife.
Supplemental Life Insurance is offered at a charge and is provided to excluded employees who are already enrolled in the Basic Group Term Life Insurance Program. Supplemental Life Insurance also includes Optional Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (OAD&D) for participants, their spouse or domestic partner, and children.
The California Department of Human Resources (CALHR) Benefits Division maintains responsibility for the program. The carrier for the Supplemental Life Insurance Program is MetLife.
Employees enrolled in the employer provided Basic Group Term Life Insurance are eligible to apply for additional supplemental life insurance. For specific eligibility information, refer to policy Section 1415 Basic Group Term Life Insurance.
Supplemental Life Insurance Coverage
Eligible employees may apply for supplemental coverage at any time. Employees may elect coverage amounts in increments of $10,000, not to exceed $750,000, or eight times their basic annual earnings, whichever is less. Monthly premiums are based on an employee's age and are adjusted annually on January 1 of each contract year.
Employee Monthly Costs per $10,000 of coverage
- Age under 25: $0.60
- Ages 25-29: $0.64
- Ages 30-34: $0.78
- Ages 35-39: $0.85
- Ages 40-44: $1.05
- Ages 45-49: $1.50
- Ages 50-54: $2.22
- Ages 55-59: $4.02
- Ages 60-64: $6.09
- Ages 65-69: $11.58
- Ages 70-74: $18.69
- Age 75 and over: $29.04
Supplemental Coverage for Dependents
Employees can also purchase dependent coverage for their spouse or registered domestic partner and dependent child(ren) up to age 23 at any time, in the following amounts, at a flat monthly rate based on the employee’s age.
Spouse/Domestic Partner/Child(ren) Flat Monthly Cost of Coverage
Spouse/domestic partner coverage of $7,500 and child(ren) coverage of $7,500
- Employee Under 65: flat monthly cost of coverage is $1.85
- Employee Over 65: flat monthly cost of coverage is $7.25
Spouse/domestic partner coverage of $15,000 and child(ren) coverage of $7,500
- Employee Under 65: flat monthly cost of coverage is $3.71
- Employee Over 65: flat monthly cost of coverage is $14.51
Spouse/domestic partner coverage of $25,000 and child(ren) coverage of $7,500
- Employee Under 65: flat monthly cost of coverage is $6.18
- Employee Over 65: flat monthly cost of coverage is $24.18
Spouse/domestic partner coverage of $50,000 and child(ren) coverage of $7,500
- Employee Under 65: flat monthly cost of coverage is $12.35
- Employee Over 65: flat monthly cost of coverage is $48.35
Eligible dependent child(ren) from birth to six months will be insured for the amount of $750.
Annual Age Update
In December, consistent with plan provisions, MetLife conducts an annual age audit to determine if a premium increase is necessary based on the employees age, salary, and/or policy amount. MetLife will notify the affected employees of any premium increase.
Premium changes take effect January 1st and are reflected in the employee’s December pay period.
Departments are responsible for communicating this information to their excluded employees prior to December.
There is an administrative fee of $0.50 cents per month.
Active state employees who currently have Supplemental Life Insurance can continue coverage into retirement. Employees cannot apply for Supplemental Life Insurance at or after retirement.
At age 65 Supplemental Life Insurance is reduced by 50 percent, then to a flat amount at age 70.
Administrative Fee for Retirees
There is an administrative fee of $0.45 cents per month.
Questions regarding the Supplemental Life Insurance program or how to continue the Supplemental Life Insurance into retirement may be directed to MetLife at 1-800-252-8524.
- MetLife GR-TR-BENE-MET1-CA: Group Term Life Insurance Beneficiary Designation
- MetLife LMI-EF-RES111M-CA: Supplemental Enrollment or Change Form
- PML 1992-112: Supplemental Life Insruance - 11/9/1992
- PML 2015-036: PML 2015-036 - 12/17/2015 - Annual Premium Age Update Review – Basic Group Term Life Insurance, Supplemental Life Insurance, and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 1420: Basic Group Life Insurance
- MetLife: Supplemental Life Insurance Enrollment for Excluded Employees
Benefits Program Analyst, Long Term Disability
Chief (Acting), Benefits Division