1413 - Group Long Term Disability Insurance
Benefits and Insurance
- Personnel Officers
- Personnel Transactions Staff
- Personnel Transactions Supervisors
- Provides information about the open enrollment for LTD
- Provides eligibility criteria
- States the premium rates and fees
- Annual age review
LTD was implemented in 1988 for active excluded employees. This benefit is intended to provide income protection in the event an employee becomes disabled due to an illness or injury and is unable to work for six months or longer. The California Department of Human Resources (CalHR) Benefits Division maintains responsibility for providing departmental personnel offices with information regarding the LTD program.
The LTD carrier is Standard Insurance Company (The Standard).
The LTD program offers two income protection benefit options to select from, either 55 percent of the first $18,182 or 65 percent of the first $15,385 of the employee's pre-disability earnings (monthly base salary), reduced by other deductible income benefits.
Eligible current employees may enroll in the Plan during the annual open enrollment period. Newly hired eligible employees may enroll in the Plan within the first 60 days of employment.
Employees must be permanent or probationary, excluded from collective bargaining, have a time base of half-time or greater, and have one of the following designations to be eligible to enroll in LTD.
- Managerial (M, E50, E59, E79, E99)
- Supervisory (S, E48, E58, E68, E78, E98)
- Confidential (C, E97)
- Constitiutional Officer (other than Legislative Members) (E92)
- Excluded/Exempt (E88, E89)
- Excluded employees who are enrolled into LTD at the time they are re-desiganted to E01 though E21, E67, or E77due to middle management reductions are allowed to continue the coverage. However, future incumbents appointed to these positions will be designated represented and are not eligible for LTD.
Employees in a limited-term appointment, who otherwise meet the eligibility criteria may enroll in LTD only if they have a mandatory right of return to a position that meets the above criteria.
Represented (Rank and FIle) and Excluded employees who are appointed to permanent-intermittent positions are not eligible to enroll in LTD.
There is an administrative fee of .80 cents per month.
Monthly premium rates are determined by multiplying the employee’s monthly base salary by the factors indicated below and adding the administrative fee. The maximum monthly base salary is not to exceed $15,385 for the 65 percent plan option and $18,182 for the 55 percent plan option.
Current Premium Rates
Option A – 65% Benefit Option (075-111)
- Age Under 30: 0.00030
- Ages 30 to 39: 0.00086
- Ages 40 to 49: 0.00203
- Ages 50 to 59: 0.00408
- Age 60 and over: 0.00452
Option B – 55% Benefit Option (075-119)
- Age Under 30: 0.00014
- Ages 30 to 39: 0.00043
- Ages 40 to 49: 0.00102
- Ages 50 to 59: 0.00206
- Age 60 and over: 0.00229
Refer employees to the CalHR State Employees page, for information on how to enroll: Group Long Term Disability (LTD) Excluded Employees Only
Annual Age Review
Effective January 1, premiums for employees who moved to the next higher premium age group (e.g., from age 39 to 40, 49 to 50, etc.) will increase and will be reflected in the December pay period.
Open enrollment for LTD is held annually every April.
During open enrollment, eligible employees may enroll and employees who are currently enrolled may change their coverage option. Employees already enrolled are not required to re-enroll during open enrollment in order to continue their current current coverage.
Employees can cancel coverage any time throughout the year.
Effective Date of Coverage
The employee’s effective date of coverage will begin on the first day of the month, following the first premium deduction.
- If the Online Enrollment application is processed by the 10th day of the calendar month, the insurance will become effective on the first day of the next calendar month.
- If the Online Enrollment applicaition is processed after the 10th day of the calendar month, the insurance will become effective on the first day of the second calendar month.
If the employee submits a form, the form must be mailed to Standard Insurance within the alloted time frame.
- Newly Hired and Newly Eligible employees have 60 days to enroll. Standard Insurance must receive the enrollment form by the end of the employees 60 day eligiblity period.
- Open Enrollment, Standard Insurance must receive the enrollment form by April 30.
*Do not mail the forms to State Controller's Office.
Employee Communications for Open Enrollment
Eligible employees NOT currently enrolled in LTD
In March, CalHR will mail a notice of the upcoming open enrollment to the homes of eligible employees. In late March, a second notification will be mailed that provides more information on how to enroll. In mid-April, a final reminder postcard will be mailed to remind employees that the open enrollment period will end on April 30.
Employees currently enrolled in LTD
In late March, a postcard with information announcing the open enrollment period will be mailed to current enrollees. This will be the only notification for currently enrolled employees.
Completing the LTD Enrollment Authorization Form
Should an employee wish to complete an enrollment form, the employee is required to complete Section A, B, and C of the enrollment form and mail the completed form to Standard Insurance.
Personnel offices should not send the completed form to State Controller's Office, instead, advise the employee on where to mail the form or how to enroll online.
Where to Mail Forms
National Accounts SOC Team
Standard Insurance Company
900 SW Fifth Avenue
Portland, OR 97204-9805
- Long-Term Disability Insurance : Frequently Asked Questions
- SI 7533D-643146: Standard Insurance Company LTD Enrollment and Change Form
- PML 1992-119: PML 1992-119 - 11/25/1992 - Long Term Disability Insurance Premiums
- PML 2014-005: PML 2014-005 - 2/10/2014 - Premium Rate Reduction for Long Term Disability Insurance Program for Excluded Employees
- PML 2015-008: PML 2015-008 - 3/2/2015 - Long Term Disability Insurance Open Enrollment and Premium Rate Reductions for Excluded Employees
- PML 2015-036: PML 2015-036 - 12/17/2015 - Annual Premium Age Update Review – Basic Group Term Life Insurance, Supplemental Life Insurance, and Long Term Disability Insurance
- PML 2016-008: PML 2016-008 - 3/30/2016 - Long Term Disability Open Enrollment
- Standard Insurance Company: Voluntary Long Term Disability Insurance for Excluded Employees
Benefits Program Analyst, Long Term Disability
Chief, Benefits Division